Friday, April 10, 2009

Dear Vincent


Dear Vincent,

You have been the most incredible, life changing thing that has ever happened to me. Your wild, strong-willed personality just lights up my life. From the first moment I saw you, I knew I would do anything for you. To have a baby is to learn that you would die for someone else. It's a hard concept to grasp, to be a mother, until the day you see your child's face and finally discovering the meaning of unconditional love. It's something you cannot explain to anyone who is without. Your untameble spirit keeps me on my toes, to say the least. Being a new mother is not the easiest thing for me. It did not come to me in this miraculous way they make it seem like in the movies. There are days when I feel so overwhelmed and that I don't know what the hell I am doing! But at the end of the day, you and I are in this together. I believe we are both learning from and growing with each other everyday. You have taught me more in just 11 short months that anyone has ever been able to. You have made me appreciate life in a way I just never could before. When I look into those big eyes and kiss those big, pouty lips, I see so much of myself and so much of your father. It makes me unbelievable proud, like heart-about-to-explode proud! My only hope is that I can provide you with the same level of love and happiness that you have bestowed upon me.

I remember the day I found out I was going to have a son. It was what I always wanted and I couldn't believe how blessed I was. I got home and wrote to you:


Be a gentle man

Be a man of your word

Always shake hands with a firm grip

Look in the world straight in the eye

Hold your head up high

Be brave & be strong

Be simplistic & kind

Be rough around the edges

Keep them guessing...

Be honest and hardworking, in anything you choose to do

Love your mother

Respect your father

Be an individual

Do not get caught up in following others

Never bully

Appreciate the little things,

the loud thunder of a wide open motor,

or the causality in the strum of a guitar

Respect and love women

appreciate what they are capable of

Be recreational.

Enjoy the sunshine on the back of your neck

Be proud of the grit under your fingernails

Do not cheat. Do not lie.

A lying, cheating heart is an unforgiving burden

Don't waste your potential

Don't waste your energy on undeserving individuals

Take Risks.

Question what they say...even me

Admit when you are wrong.

Apologize from the bottom of your heart

Mean it...Show it...

Be rowdy and boisterous

Make a scene!

Stand out!

Give in

Be patient and calm

Do not envy

Accept love for all it stands for

Do not take people for granted

Say "I love you often"

Mean it...Show it...


If this sounds like a lot to ask of you, don't be intimidated. You are my sunshine, the completeness to me once emptiness. You could never let me down. You could never make me turn my back on you. It's you and me, Bud. Forever and ever, Amen.


Love,

Mama